Friday, November 12, 2010

SDSU Post Pregaming: Party Bus Parking Lot Pimpin'

Last year for my birthday I went to Vegas for a CSU game and watched us lose a football game to fall to 3-7. I still had a great fucking time.

This year, I stayed in San Diego for my birthday to watch CSU lose a football game to fall to 3-7. I still had a great fucking time.

On the surface, it seems that not a lot has changed. CSU is not very good at football and I am a raging alchy. But if you dig deeper, there is hope on the horizon...at least for CSU football.

All kidding aside, this was another reason that affirmed to me how awesome it is to be a CSU grad, even if our football team struggles and I can't get a decent job ("OBAMA!" /Colbert scream while shaking fist in air).

My weekend began with a nice dinner at Gordon Biersch, provided by the CSU Alunmi Association. It seems that my "leadership" of our CSU Hometown Huddles has earned me an official title as Head of Athletics and Recreation for the San Diego CSU Alumni Association. I put leadership in quotes because all I have done so far is show up to drink heavily at Kristy's sports bar each week and created a Facebook group (San Diego Ram Fans) that has all of 11 people in it.

After my awesome pasta dinner, I returned home and ended up partying with my hot neighbor and her less hot but slutty friend. It was a great night until everyone got overserved and balls were blued, but that isn't a unique story in my life so we can all just move on to Saturday, which was much more enjoyable.

Proving that I can be a great CSU Alumni Organizer, me and the President of the CSU Alumni Association (aka the Redheaded Homeboy who kept falling during Duck-Duck-Goose during our Vegas tailgate) got together about 40 Rammies (and like 3 Aztecs) to take a party bus to Qualcomm for the game.

Yeah, it was as awesome as you can imagine. 35 Rammies drinking beer on a giant bus, slamming liquid crack and pulling into the tailgate 3 hours early already rocking a solid buzz. While entering the lot, I decided that we should announce our presence, so I stuck my head out the emergency roof hatch and began shouting "Go Rams." This would have been more effective and enjoyable if there were more than 35 Aztec fans, but it set the tone.

We posted up adjacent to the official CSU tailgate, set up a table for flip cup and pong, a grill and whatnot. Samole and I immediately jump on top of the bus pounding beers and dancing. Then we demand someone hand us a 30-Rack. Then my buddy Yao tried to climb up. Apparently, three is the magic number, and the bus driver demands that we get down. What a bitch!

We played many epic games of flip cup as the crowd at our tailgate grew closer to about 100 people. At some point in the festivities my parents, sister and my mother's college roommate show up. I make chatted with them a bit, but then decided that they were much too sober to be around at this point. I excuse myself to play some pong.

By the time the game starts I am pretty fuzzy, but I decide I can't just abandon my family, so I stash the beer in the bus and join them. My mom is someone who never breaks the rules, so she demands that we sit in our assigned seats, right smack dab in an SDSU section. I tell her this is a terrible idea, as there is a whole corner of the stadium that is full of CSU fans (over 1,000), but she doesn't want to move.

As we sit down, something strange is happening, CSU is actually playing tough defense and winning. Everytime something good happens I do my best Pauly D, "OHHH YEAHHHH, RAMMMS YEAAHHH!" standing up with arms raised.

There are literally 4 generations of SDSU fans sitting around me and none are too thrilled with my enthusiasm. A 70+ gentleman tells me to sit down, his nephew joins and his little cock-bag of a kid spends the rest of the game turning around to yell "OHHHHH YEEEAHHH" in his undescended testicles voice. At first their comments are tinged with a little anger, but as we talk between plays it becomes light-hearted when they realize I am not as big of an asshole as I appear (I only swore like 3 times, pretty amazing for me at a CSU game).

All the while, my family is sitting beside me. My mom is laughing uproariously, my father is pretending he doesn't know me and my sister thinks I'm an asshole. What else is new?

At one point the 9-year old read my "Green Shirts Are For Pimps" shirt and asks his mom what a pimp is. She tells him it is "a really good football player." I admonish her for lying, and then tell him it also means really good golfer as well (haha year-old Tiger joke). It is at this point that she demands "Someone needs to watch these damn kids, I need to get more alcohol." I decide she is a pretty awesome Cougar and SDSU fans, all 1000 of them, are pretty awesome.

As the half ends, I leave for to get more alcohol and to track down my friends. I am in a different section as the second half starts and SDSU takes the lead. Apparently while I was gone fans in the section repeatedly attempting to yell "OHHH YEAHHH" at my seat even when I was gone. Much like Athlete's Foot, even when I'm not visible I am still annoying as shit.

I come back to my seats, this time armed with a posse of Ram fans, just in time to watch Sisson's awesome fumble return, which is pretty much the greatest moment of this CSU season.

(Warning: Actual game analysis, not stories about drinking) Sadly, the momentum didn't last long, and CSU couldn't overcome our poor red zone offense, no running game and the shittiest refs in America. Still, just seeing the Rams compete in a road contest was great. SDSU is a damn good team and we took them to the wire. One or two plays, one or two calls, could have changed everything. Still, this Rams team is light years ahead the team I saw get thrashed by UNLV a year ago and especially the team that got rolled by Nevada two months ago.

After the game we rolled back to PB on the bus. We had been drinking for the better part of 8 hours, but Samole, Yao and I continued, but we were unwilling to pay the $5 cover for the bar, so we sat in their parking lot and pounded luke-warm Cauhagamas with all the class of true CSU fans. At one point a security guard came up to Yao, and asked if he was drinking a beer. Yao just looked at him blankly, looked at his hand, then deadpanned "What?" The security guard was so confused he just walked on.

All the Ram fans had plans to party together all night, but instead we ended up all over San Diego at bars, but fortunately and surprisingly no one even got arrested (though Samole apparently tried, nearly breaking his hand as he went Hulk on random windows).

The moral of this rambling story, as always, is that CSU parties hard. Sometimes almost too hard. Much like Bobby Knight's advice on rape, just relax and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment