Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Weekend Sack-Up: At least we gots TULO

This was a tough week, all sports considered. Not a lot went right. Or really nothing went right. Until today.

I mean, Thanksgiving was fine and all. Food, family and rest, but it was a bit uneventful. San Diego is a transplant city, and having Thanksgiving along the beaches is only fun if you can taunt people in cold weather cities when you return. And it really hasn't been fun since the weather in SD has been HISTORICALLY LOW (holy shit it is 40 degrees here and I'm freezing, yet I am planning to move home to CO in three weeks. Let's check the weather there: ZERO! FUCK ME I AM SO FUCKING SCREWED).

Besides that, last week started with me witnessing a Bronco beatdown from the  nosebleeds of Qualcomm and then progressively got worse, no matter how improbable that seemed.

Join me, as I break down my week of fun:

Broncos vs. Chargers: I have now been to four football games at Qualcomm, and I can say that every one has been a good tailgating experience, yet everyone has been different. This was really my first time tailgating for an NFL game, as every other Broncos game I attended came when I was underage (I have only been to 4 Broncos games in my life, shockingly), but it wasn't near as fun as college tailgating.

Maybe because it was in enemy territory or because I was with my parents, but the overall attitude surrounding NFL games always feels way too serious for me. People either seem jaded because they have season tickets and get to go to every game, or they are trying too hard to make the game "an event" because they spent half of little Johnny's college fund just to afford tickets once a year. Whatever the case, I would much rather shotgun beers in the dirt at Hughes than deal with the corporate whitewash that is an NFL tailgate. Even the crazed Broncos fans that my family tailgated with seemed forced, be it their custom license plates hung around necks or the fact that they were Mexicans who claimed they became fans just because they "hated the Raiders."

Monday Night Football is a huge production and fun to see, but the constant commercials and interruptions make the game stretch on forever. This fact, plus alcohol, a lack of quality distractions from the Chargers entertainment (and the lack of Denver competitiveness on the field) and the dickhead nature of Southern California people created a very explosive combination. After the Broncos opening scoring drive, the only fight showed by Denver was by orange clad fans in the crowd. I saw at least 20 intense shouting/shoving matches breakout between Broncos and Chargers fans, and at least 5 major fights. Good times.

Both sides were at fault, but I don't see this kinda behavior at Mile High games (excluding CU-CSU, but I've never been to a Broncos-Raiders game either). One reason is that Broncos home games are almost all Denver fans and at least 15K in Qualcomm were Broncomaniacs, but another big factor is the fact that San Diego fans are lower class than Denver fans (don't read this incorrectly, as Broncos fans in San Diego are a different class of fans than Broncos fans in Denver).

Overall it was a fun family night, but I won't be going back. The NFL is just too expensive for my blood.


Spygate & St. Louis Loss: The Spygate II issue just seals it for me that Josh McDaniels needs to go. Losing to St. Louis just double-stamps it.

The only way he can save his job, in my mind, is by winning out while also getting Tim Tebow quality playing time. Otherwise, what the fuck is the point? He has embarrassed us on and off the field enough. For every positive (6-0 start last year, Brandon Lloyd's explosiveness) there are gigantic disapointments (5-16 since, Peyton Hillis' success, trading 1st Round picks for nothing) that just kill us.

We have some talented offensive pieces, hire Bill Cowher (or a good defensive coach), a Offensive Coordinator that won't change a personnel too much and bring in some defensive beef. That should have been the plan 2 years ago.


College Football: Welcome back to the WAC! The good news is that CSU should have an easy path to be the 2nd best team in the MWC by 2012, the bad news is that Utah, BYU and TCU had to leave in order to make this possible.

All this conference realignment had to happen now, when CSU is ass, not back in the 1990s. You know, when CSU football kicked ass, both basketball programs were postseason threats and volleyball was nationally ranked (at least this last point is still accurate). It fucking blows, but it also shows you how quickly everything can change. Let's see how happy the Big East is with TCU in 5 years if Gary Patterson bails or dies or something. They bring nothing else to the table and have no tradition of sustained success.

It is so nice to see years of conference tradition and rivalries tossed aside for a shot at a little more money. Dear NCAA, quit fighting kids over Golf Kart rides and start regulating fairness in awarding championships so there isn't conference anarchy.


CSU Basketball: Will not go undefeated after losing to Sam Houston St. Which sucks, because they need to win those sort of games. Fortunately, there are about 30 more games to right the ship.


Nuggets: Melo drops a game-winner. Yawn. Sits out next game with illness. Yawn. Wake me when we trade him for Derrick Favors or someone.

Sidenote: On the most recent BS Report Marc Stein theorized that Melo could somehow go to Dallas and the Mavs could include DeShawn Steveson. My dream could come true, as I would gladly pay for a D-Steve Nuggs jersey. It would be my proudest possession (and he happens to be shooting 50% from 3-point range this season...FLAMETHROWER).





I just creamed my panties.

Avsalanches: Lost two shitty division games in a row, then rebounded with a curb stomping of Minnesota. Sadly, Chris Stewart is so brutal and hits so hard that he broke his hand on some clowns head whilst beating him like Andre Johnson beats Cortland Finnegan. This is bad. 4-6 weeks sans Stewie sucks. The Avs have too many injuries as is, this could hamstring them severely. Thank God we have another member of the Black Ice Brotherhood, Greg Mauldin, to hold down the gangsterness.

Liverpool: Fernando made hash of two chances and Liverpool choked away a game vs. Spurs. A W would have pulled us within striking range of the Champions League. PIIISSSS!

At least Clint Dempsey grabbed another goal.

Rockies: Finally, the only good news of the last week, as the Rockies will now have Triple T (Troy Trevor Tulowitzki) until 2020.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MULLLLLLLETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Imma buy me one of these as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment