Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Sack-Up/Pregaming Analysis: Monday Night Football

First off, I am very conflicted about the Rapids winning the MLS Cup. On one hand, I love to see championships come to Colorado of any kind and I hope that this is the beginning of a run of Colorado sports success (the first title of any kind I remember won by a Colorado team was by the Denver Grizzlies of the AHL, and within 5 years of that CO had a Stanley Cup, two Super Bowls, the Nuggets with a huge upset of Seattle and the young Rocks going to the playoffs).

On the other hand, I am wondering if this is added punishment to the Colorado sports fan. It seems everything that can go wrong for my sports teams has in the last few years and this is the sports Gods way of punishing me, by giving a title to the one Colorado team I really couldn't give a shit about.

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things, the Rapids winning a title is on par with my high school soccer team (the fighting Roaring Fork Beaners) winning our league championship and qualifying for state. Pretty awesome if I was on the team, but generally a big MEH.

Colorado State Football: We are so bad. So, so, so bad. If Larry Kerr has a job next month I will be shocked. I don't care if we have paraplegics in our secondary and midgets on the d-line, no team should give up 44 points to Wyoming.

Coach Fair needs to step up and find a new D-Coordinator stat, and then he needs to figure out a way to win at least 7 games next season and only lose 2 by more than 20 points (Boise and TCU are acceptable) or else CSU should find a new coach.

Because I have never been more embarrassed to be a CSU fan. Sadly I have felt that way about 5 times this season.

Colorado State Basketball: Is off to a good start, with a good road win over DU, and the saving grace. Timmy Miles is proving that sometimes rebuilding takes a little more time than expected, as his first two seasons were awful and now, finally in his 4th year, the Rams are primed to compete with the top teams in the MWC.

The problem is that the top teams in the MWC are really fucking good. BYU has JIMMER! New Mexico is loaded with talented headcases. UNLV knocked off a very talented Wisconsin team on Saturday. SDSU should be a top-15 team, especially after their huge win at Gonzaga last week.

It won't be easy, but the goal for Miles will be for the Rams to sneak passed one of those teams. So far, I am pretty sure Miles has won just 1 games against those four teams in 26 attempts (a lot of narrow losses mixed in there, but this team needs to learn to close out against good teams).

I have faith that Miles will get it done this season.

Rockies: They seem content to lose Jorge De La Rosa and replace him with basically nothing. And they think they will improve. Looks like another season of hoping Stewie, Iannetta, Dex, Seth Smith and EY2 step up. As we learned from last season, this doesn't always work.

We need to add one more big bat to the lineup, and if AZ is foolish enough to part with Justin Upton let's take him off their hands.

Nuggs: Are who we thought they were. Maybe just good enough to sneak into the playoffs and get slaughtered by the Lake Show.

Avs: Killing it in the last week and now with a healthy Craig Anderson. There is hope for one Colorado sports franchise.


Broncos: There is not a lot of hope for this bunch of fuckos, but I am hoping they realize that the rest of the season is basically must-win.

Tomorrow's game will take place in my backyard and I will be there with family in tow. I just hope they keep it marginally close and don't make me cry. These tickets cost like $90 bucks a pop and this is my first Monday Night game ever, I would like to remember it fondly, not have to drink until I can't remember shit.

Compared to my CSU/SDSU party bus extravaganza, I expect to be a little more mild-mannered tomorrow. Mostly because I will be in the fucking nosebleeds, where I don't believe anyone will be able to hear me yell. Which takes away about %100 of the enjoyment of heckling.

I know that when I am at a CSU game that players and refs can hear me yelling, because I am leaning over the front rail, dangling perilously close to falling onto the field and pissing off ushers. But at an NFL game (or other game when I let someone else purchase seats) I just feel too uninvolved. I know that as a fan my impact is minimal, but I want to be under the illusion that my anger and wit can maybe have an impact.

Still, that won't stop me from claiming a vital role in the Broncos playoff run if WE pull of the W tomorrow.

But if we lose I am placing all of the blame on Josh McDaniels.

No comments:

Post a Comment