Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Phuck the Phillies and East Coast Bias

There is a ton I like about living out here in California. It is warm, every day. But not too warm, just Goldilocks warm. 80 degrees and sunny, cooling to the low 60s at night. Every single day (it allegedly rained once this month, but I was sleeping). There are a lot of beautiful people. There is a beach. I will never have to deal with a blizzard, unlike you poor stiffs in Colorado already prepping for the cold.

But following my sports teams, especially this Rocktober redux just hasn't been the same out here in sunny California. For one thing, I don't get every game on TV, so I have spent a lot of my time watching MLB.com's gamecasts, which are serviceable, but not near the same excitement. It is like having someone describe a Picasso, it just doesn't work.

And even when I get to watch a game, it is not near as fun as watching in Colorado where everyone else was watching. During the 2007 Rocktober I could predict whenever the Rocks were going to do something big. Not because I am Nostradamus, but because our neighbors cable picked up the game about a second before our HD Satellite (I am not a peasant). It was awesome, knowing that people understood why I was screaming like a madman. Or I was at the bar (RIP Sully's) as it exploded whenever Matty Holliday dropped a bomb, hurridly ordering a victory beaver in celebration. But in Cali the people walking their dogs past my house must think I have Tourrettes or hate their animals due to my constant screams of joy and anger.

Still, I was damn excited to know that every Rockies game in postseason would be on TV, meaning I no longer had to hide in my room and constantly check wait for the "Ball in Play, Run(s)" to pop up on Gamecast to get excited. I could watch the game, with my roomate and feel an emotional connection to the game.

But no, goddamn TBS (Frank TV) and Major League Baseball put the Rockies in the 11:30am time slot for both games. What the bejeasus fuck. Baseball is American, and Americans work during the day (and I, finally, am rejoining that working class). So now every Rockies fan west of the Mississippi (which, at last check, is pretty much all of them) forced to either skive off work, watch a shitty version online or hope against all hope that no one ruins the game and they can watch it later on TIVO.

I was lucky enough to watch game one, but that is what I have to do for game two. Which means I will have to avoid taking any calls non-business related, avoid all radio (not hard, I do this anyway in my car), all text messages from friends, all Tweets (messiahthadon; holler), and hopefully any random Rockies (thats a joke, I have yet to see another one out here) or douchtard Phillies fans. At the same time, I have to hope the DVR records correctly, the game doesn't go into super-extra innings and cut off the recording, that my roomates fiance doesn't accidentally mess it up to watch Dr. Phil solve stupid problems for stupid people or that I don't accidently hit an improper button during playback and flash forward too far. If all this manages to work it will be a bigger miracle than the 2007 playoff run, and it will still lack that same connection I felt with fellow fans in 2007.

And then there is the fact that, you know, the Rocks could be down 0-2 if they lose, making me feel unbelievably stupid for going through all this effort.

1 comment: