Thursday, October 7, 2010

You Can Go Back to College: TCU PostPregaming

This weekend I went back in time. No, not with Doc Brown and Marty, but back to college.

Time travel to college is always possible, especially in a town like Fort Collins (especially since we traveled forward in time on many occasions while blacked out, the Fort is obviously located in some odd Space/Time Continuum).  Even if the names and locations of the bars change while the students at the bar keep looking younger, the beautiful thing about CSU and it's surroundings is that all the energy from those youngins partying will make you feel like you have a freshly minted 21+ ID and no aversion to vodka.

As soon as I rolled into the Fort on Friday afternoon I felt an optimism and freshness that has been out of my life for too long. It had been almost two years since I was in Fort Collins for a football game weekend and I had forgotten just how fun those days were.

In less than 48 hours I hit up almost every place that was important to me during my years at State. I started off Friday with some El Burrito, then a brew tour at New Belgium ("The beer is free?" my mother asked, shocked) and then a quick visit to campus.

Now, San Diego has beautiful weather year round, but there is nothing like a sunny, clear Colorado day in the fall or spring. It is literally perfect weather and you enjoy it because it is unexpected and you don't know how long it will last. You can actually use it as an excuse to leave work early or take an extended lunch.

I dropped by the ole campus to check in with past employers, to alert them that I was returning to Colorado. I love CSU, and I would really love it a whole lot more if my education and contacts there actually helped land me a job. My old bosses were nice enough to ask me to join them for a beer at Potts, another check mark on the FoCo experience.

I also really needed to drop a deuce, so I hit up my favorite stall on campus (Clark C) and read the best student newspaper in the world (Step your game up, Ramtalkers). Check.

Friday night was Round 1 of Old Town; Sports Exchange (formerly Hamiltons & Connor O'Neils?), Bondi (Zydecos),  and Steakout (Steakout). Even though the decorations and names had changed at the first two bars I still ran into a lot of familiar faces.

I crashed at my buddy Kilometer's house and he was kind enough to wake me up in the wee hours of the morning with a bloody mary. Such hospitality. From that moment on (8:00-ish) I had a drink in my hand for almost 12 hours, with a short break before another trip to Old Town. God I miss college football Saturdays.

Places were I drank in the next 12 hours:
-At Kilos house
-In his roommates Charlie's truck on the way to The Entrepreneur's house.
-In the back of The Entrepreneur's 20-foot flatbed truck while making sure the gas can didn't tip over.
-At our tailgate spot, featuring giant speakers and a dance party on said flatbed truck (and several lovely shotguns, including one with my favorite Newcastle fan and former Sullivan's bouncer, which checks off that place on my list without me having to go there).
-In the Ram Wagon, a converted Winnebago that  had been abandoned for a year before some CSU fans rescued it, hotwired it and brought it to the game. Inside the wagon we founda plethora of random tailgating crap, including BB guns in case we had to battle the cops, or something.
-At the Ramstrong Tailgate along with my parents and Sonny Lubick.
-In line to get into the stadium, along with my favorite painted Ram fans, some pictured here:

-And of course, several beers in the stands, which was really awesome of my parents to buy for me (My parents fed me and bought me beer all weekend, like I was a very spoiled, alcoholic 12-year old. It was really a dream come true).

We now interrupt this blog about drinking in college with some...

Actual Game Analysis: The game sucked. We didn't even score. Didn't even come close. The D played hard, but just died after halftime. I only wanted one score to rush the field and I couldn't even get that.

Now, back to the fun. After dicking around in the early evening (videogames and Icings, bro), it was finally T-SHIRT TIME!!! and the highlight of my trip: The ride from Kilo's house to Old Town.

The bed of the The Entrepreneur's commercial truck is also equipped with giant speakers and subwoofers, so he, Kilos and I all rode in the back down college slamming Coors Lights while jamming out to Tio Cruz (Dynamite), B.O.B. (Magic), and Cee-Lo (Fuck You). I had as much fun in those 10 minutes as I have had doing almost anything out here in San Diego. A valuable lesson: good friends are better than good weather.

I got my handfuls of nuts from Lucky Joes and then moved onto the Sports Ex again, joined by Sailor, Nutty Nate, the Morman and DJ Stringer Bell. It was an enjoyable night full of whores, near-fights and a random encounter with my buddy Johnny from my Vegas trip last year. Told you I was a big deal.

Though I was planning on returning to Colorado in December-ish, this weekend was the final nail that confirmed to me that I have to move back. I am a Coloradoan, I am a Ram and the Box State is my home.

I mean, I can't just go back to college once a year. That place needs me.

Broncos: I watched an entire Broncos game for the first time this season and I really like what I saw. Orty Balls is playing as dirty as his beard, the defense flies around making big plays and our coverage units still suck. Welp, 2-of-3 ain't bad.

Better than being the Bears (hahahahahahahahha Cuntler I hope you die you Cunt) but salvation shall lie in the hands of Caleb Hanie (Memo to NFL teams: If you are set to play the Bears and Hanie is starting, sign Carson Bird. Caleb Hanie loves him like retards love glue.)

Bonus shoutout to Joel Dreessen, who led the Texans in recieving yards and cashed in a TD on Sunday. Pretty baller for a guy who played ball at Fort Morgan High (where much of the Rothe family is from /name drop).

Rockies: You guys closed out the season like the Broncos. That is not good.

At least you didn't lead us on until the last day and destroy us like the Padres enjoy doing to their 79 fans. I'm less concerned about the end of season swoon than the mediocrity you guys exhibited from April-August. Let's add a couple pitchers and get guys who don't strike out every third at bat (Tulo excluded. Cargo, work on it a little).

Avs: Hockey starts tomorrow. Just in fucking time, as I'm really sick of baseball right now (Ohhh, no-hitter. Fuck you Halliday and all you Philly Phucks). Get on the Avswagon now folks. Matty Ice, Mr. Anderson and all of the young guns will be a power for years, get on while there is still room (and there is plenty now since Colorado forgot about hockey following the strike).

Nuggets: Don't give a shit right now. But did you see John Wall? Kid is fucking ill. If Washington goes back to Bullets I might actually switch allegiances. You just watch.


Upcoming: Jersey Shore Hook-Ups tomorrow, Nuggs/NBA Preview w/ Edy (if his lazy ass feels like it), maybe an Avs preview (prolly not), CSU/SDSU weekend crazyness and the Sack family attending a Chargers/Broncos game. Should be a damn interesting last couple months in San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment