Thursday, June 17, 2010

World Cup Day 7 Preview: Awww, I already made fun of these teams.

Each day of the World Cup I will give you a quick and dirty preview of the teams that will play each day. I will base all of this information on FIFA 10 and stereotypes. And irrational hatred. Because that is what soccer is all about. Well, that and the whole rioting thing.

Argentina vs. South Korea: Our first match-up of teams who both won their first contest. If either team wins they guarantee a berth into the second round. I'll wager you that Argentina is said team. The Good Koreans are feisty, but they don't have enough talent to hang with Messi and the boys for too long.

Greece vs. Nigeria: Both teams will be desperate for a point at least, so the potential for both to bunker in like bitches is high, especially if Argentina deposes of South Korea. The Greeks probably need to get a win more in this match, already having lost to the Koreans and with Argentina looming in game three. Hopefully they come out attacking and Nigeria responds in kind. Both these teams are screwed if Korea somehow pulls out a point vs. Argentina.

France vs. Mexico: CINCO DE MAYO REDUX. Yes, I hate both these places with a passion, but I missed out on Cinco de Mayo for work and I shall make tomorrow my own personal Cinco de Drinko. Every time I hear a Vuvuzela I will take a drink.


But man do I love Mexico's national anthem!

Day 6 recap
Chile 1, Honduras 0: Honduras was just outclassed and somehow only lost by 1. Should have been more but great goalkeeping and some poor Chilean finishes kept it close. Love me some Chilean Sea Bass.

Switzerland 1, Spain Nil: Shocker of the tournament. My boy Torres didn't start, neither did Fabregas as Spain was maybe a little overconfident. The Swiss scored an ugly ass goal and almost added another in transition later. The Swiss used the same strategy as the US did during our big upset of Spain last season and this game was almost a carbon copy.

The Spanish are a bit too focused on making the perfect play and they don't have a lot of size, so by forcing them to the outside you can frustrate them. They refused to attempt to cross in the ball for much of the contest and seemingly refused to swing any corner into the box. Yes they dominated possession, but if that possession is not threatening it is worthless.

Still, I wouldn't bet against the Red Fury storming back to win their final two matches, as neither Chile nor Honduras are exactly world beaters .


Uruguay 3, South Africa Nil: Shove that in your Vuvuzela! Forlan knocked in a couple as South Africa was outclassed. This certainly makes the Mexico-France matchup huge for those two, as Uruguay is now in the driver's seat with 4 points and a +3 differential.

No comments:

Post a Comment