Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup Preview: Day 3

Each day of the World Cup I will give you a quick and dirty preview of the teams that will play each day. I will base all of this information on FIFA 10 and stereotypes. And irrational hatred. Because that is what soccer is all about. Well, that and the whole rioting thing.

Slovenia vs. Algeria: I recognize one player from each of these teams. My heritage connects me much more towards the Slovenly boys, but the fact that Algeria loses all of its best players to France gives them a soft spot in my heart. And as a USA fan, we should probably cheer for a draw, rife with cards. Both teams have played the David role to get to the tournament, upsetting Russia and Egypt respectively to qualify, hopefully this trend does not continue vs. the USA. 

Serbia vs. Ghana: I am Croation (in part), so fuck Serbia. The Ghanarians beat the US to eliminate us from the last World Cup, so fuck them. Serbian defender Nevan Subotic was on US National Teams as a youth, but after a dickbag coach left him out in the cold for the US U-20 squad, he acted like a bigger dickbag and decided to play for Serbia instead. So fuck him. Ghana has Michael Essien, he is pretty awesome. Ghanaria FTW.

Germany vs. Australia: I think it is really hard for anyone to really hate Australia, those lovable Foster-swilling criminals from Down-Undah. Germany is very easy to hate. BUT, I am part German and will be watching all their matches will my new German friends. So the better Germany does, the more free drinks I should receive. LETS GO NAZILAND.

Germany is always a traditional power and features big, athletic, physical strikers like Miroslav Klose, Gomez and Mueller. Plus, they have maybe the most awesomely named player of all time, Bastian Schweinsteiger. So fun to say.

Australia has Tim Cahill, whose name is Australian for header goal. The man is money on crosses and set pieces. Actually both sides are pretty money on set pieces, so we could have a goal-a-palooza on our hands (like 2-1).

No comments:

Post a Comment